Identify Your Engine
Please scroll down below to the relevant section to identify your engine.
Ford Tractor Engines: Please send us photos of your BSD engine for us to identify it, or alternatively please advise the fuel injection pump part number.
Ford Marine Base Engines: This covers differences between the Dorset and Dover ranges, 6 Cylinder 2720 series and New Holland 10 and 40 series.
Mermaid Marine: Details on which base engine relates to which Mermaid Marine model.
JCB Engines: Instructions on how to read your JCB data plate. If you do not have a data plate please supply us with your JCB machine serial number.
Perkins Engines: Instructions on how to read your Perkins engine plate. If you do not have a data plate please supply us with photos of your engine.
Caterpillar Engines: Some CAT engines cross reference to Perkins, to ensure accuracy please send a photo of your engines from all sides to [email protected].
Ford Marine BAse Engines
NA: NATURALLY ASPIRATED – TC: TURBOCHARGED – CYL: CYLINDER – HP: HORSEPOWER – INT: INTERCOOLED – NON-INT: NON-INTERCOOLED.
FORD 2700 DORSET SERIES 4 CYL 2711E, 2712E
FORD 2700 DORSET SERIES 6 CYL 2713E, 2714E, 2715E, 2704ET, 2704ETI
Built 1964 – 1984 marinised by Mermaid, Sabre, Lehman, Watermota, C.T., Seapower, Lancing Marine and others.
- Front timing cover is pressed steel, occasionally cast iron.
- No oil pipe running between injection pump and oil filter housing.
- Only one port on the fresh water pump, pointing either towards 2 o‘clock or 5 o’clock.
- Timing gears and sea water pump gear are angle-cut.
|Ford 2700 Series (Dorset) D Series -1977 - 1982||Engine No's upto 6999|
|2712E||397 or MELODY (NA 4 CYL, 80HP), TURBO 4 (TC 4 CYL, 140HP MAX), FLAT 4|
|2715E||595 or MARINER (NA 6 CYL, 120HP), MONARCH (TC 6 CYL, 215HP)|
|2704ET||595-ET or MISTRAL (TC 6 CYL 150HP NON-INT)|
|2704-ET-INT||595-ET-INT or MAJESTIC, 180, 210, 225 (TC 6 CY,L INT)|
|2704-TP||595-TP or TURBO PLUS (TC 6 CYL, 250HP|
FORD 2720 DOVER SERIES 4 CYL 2722E
FORD 2720 DOVER SERIES 6 CYL 2725E, 2726T
- Front timing cover is cast aluminium.
- There is an oil pipe between the injection pump and the oil filter housing.
- Most marine/industrial engines have two ports on fresh water pump, though truck origin Cargo) 6-cylinder engines have 3 ports. Occasionally 2722E has one port.
- Timing gears and sea water pump gear are straight cut.
- Exhaust and inlet ports are larger than 2700 series / Dorset engines
|Ford 2720 Series (Dover) Cargo -1982 - 1994||Engine No's 7000 - 10999|
|2722||MELODY (NA 4 CYL, 90HP), TURBO-MELODY (TC 4 CYL), TURBO 4 (TC 4 CYL, 180HP MAX, INT), FLAT 4, TURBO 4-PLUS (TC 4 CYL, 200HP, INT)|
|2725||MARINER (NA 6 CYL, 135HP)|
|2726T||MISTRAL (TC 6 CYL, 160HP, NON-INT), MAJESTIC (TC 6 CYL, 212 MAX, INT)|
|2727TIM||MONARCH (TC 6 CYL, 250HP, INT), TURBO-PLUS (TC 6 CYL, 300HP, INT)|
FORD 6 CYL 2725E, 2726T 2728TIM OTOSAN, UP TO 2005
- Generally similar to remainder of 2720 series.
- Have oil pump mounted at the front of the engine behind the crank pulley.
- Longer sumps 960mm overall length.
- Otosan engines have 3 port fresh water pumps with single / twin groove pulley up to 1999 , flat poly-V 8 groove drive from 2000 onwards.
|Ford Ford Dover Series Otosan - Cargo 1994 - 2000||Engine No's 11000 - 11999|
|Ford Dover Series Dovertech - Cargo 2000+||Engine No's 12000 Onwards|
|6.2 Litre N/A||2725 MARINER (NA 6 CYL, 135HP)|
|6 Litre TCI||2726 MISTRAL (TC 6 CYL, 160HP, NON-INT), MAJESTIC (TC 6 CYL, 212HP MAX)|
|6 Litre TC||2728 MONARCH (TC 6 CYL, 230HP, INT), TURBO-PLUS (TC 6 CYL, 300HP, INT)|
FORD NEW HOLLAND 10, 40, 60 AND 70 SERIES / BSD444, 666, 678
- Exhaust manifold is on opposite side of engine to inlet manifold.
- Engine number is stamped on the bottom of block next to sump line.
- 10 & 40 series have CAV rotary injection pump.
- 60 series has Bosch rotary injection pump.
- 70 series has Bosch in-line injection pump.
|Genesis New Holland|
|5 Litre 4 cyl N/A||Melody II|
|5 Litre 4 cyl turbo||TURBO MELODY II (NON-INT), TURBO 4 II (400HP MAX, INT)|
|7.5 Litre 6 cyl N/A||Manta II|
|7.5 litre 6 cyl turbo||MIRAGE II (NON-INT), MAGNUM II (INT)|
Please supply us with the engine type i.e SH320/40001, power in bhp or kW and if possible tell us which machine it is fitted to in order for us to provide an accurate quote. We can also identify your engine with your machine’s serial number.
For help finding your JCB engine build number see below:
Engine data labels A are located on the cylinder block at position C and rocker cover D (if fitted).
The data label includes important engine information and includes the JCB engine identification number E.
A typical JCB engine identification number is made up as follows:
- Engine Displacement
S = 4.4 litre series
D = 4.8 litre series
- A = naturally aspirated engine (JCB Tier 2)
B = turbocharged engine (JCB Tier 2)
C = turbocharged and intercooled (JCB Tier 2)
D = turbocharged mechanical fuel injection (JCB Tier 3)
E = electronic common rail fuel injection (JCB Tier 3)
F = turbocharged and aftercooled (JCB mechanical Tier 3)
H = turbocharged and aftercooled electronic common rail fuel injection (JCB Tier 4i)
- Engine part number
- Country of manufacture
U = United Kingdom
- Engine serial number
Year of manufacture
The last three parts of the engine identification number are stamped on the cylinder block at position B:
U 00001 12
In order to find the exact specification of your engine you will need to identify your engine by finding your unique Perkins serial number.
An example of the build format is: PJ12345, and serial number: *U123456P this will determine the engine family and year of manufacture in order for us to supply the correct option.
See below for a summary of where to find your engine number as shown under the help section on the Perkins website:
Engine serial numbers are commonly found on a metal plate fixed to the engine block.
Once you’ve located the plate, the letters and numbers that make up an engine’s model number are a series of codes to tell you the engine family, the number of cylinders, the emissions standard, the type of ignition, the capacity, the type of aspiration and if relevant the generator set rating.